|Desired Industry: Librarian/Museum
|Desired Job Location: Deltona, Florida
||Date Posted: 8/6/2011
|Type of Position: Full-Time Permanent
||U.S. Work Authorization: Yes
|Job Level: Experienced with over 2 years experience
||Willing to Travel:
|Highest Degree Attained: Masters
||Willing to Relocate: Yes
Dedicated librarian with more than a decade honing skills in managing and coordinating library information resources and activities backed by a master's degree in library science. Reputation as a highly efficient and technically savvy information provider, expert trainer to staff and news reporters, and "get-it-done" team collaborator. Combine analysis and organization abilities with foresight and detail orientation to prioritize projects and tasks to successful completion. Articulate and effective communicator, resourceful problem solver, and champion for progress. Exercise professional initiative, sound judgment, and adaptability.
DELTONA REGIONAL LIBRARY, DELTONA, FL
LIBRARIAN—VOLUNTEER - JUNE 2011– PRESENT
Support the library director and staff in managing library functions, including cataloguing, providing reference assistance to library patrons, answering computer-related questions, training in research techniques, and creating promotions/displays for various collections. Full oversight of news, periodicals, and reference section.
CNN, ATLANTA, GA
NEWS LIBRARIAN - SEPTEMBER 2006 – FEBRUARY 2011
Managed library information resources and conducted information and video research for national and international shows/bureaus. Cataloged, clipped, classified, indexed, stored, edited, retrieved, and disseminated library information for news and editorial staff. Collaborated extensively with the graphics library and digital conversion department. Served on-call as necessary.
Strove to maintain departmental energy, focus, and productivity through multiple challenges—local tornado, high staff turnover, and late-breaking news reports. Earned numerous commendations from superiors and staff for performance excellence and team spirit—working weekends and late hours, leading hands-on training to staff on database and retrieval systems, and going above and beyond to get the job done right.
* Served as outreach librarian for HLN and Prime News on special research projects to include gathering and compiling of public records for intranet site, criminal records research, statistics gathering, and conflict of interest investigations. Became an integral supporting team contributor.
* Key contributor on the fast facts team, compiling timelines, bios, informational packets and uploading to the intranet for access by all CNN shows/bureaus. Compiled, updated, and fact-checked informational pathfinders, fast-facts, and timelines for on-air use.
* Led weekly internal library tours, promoting library products and services. Showcased collection of videos, newspapers, reference books, and magazines as well as storage and research systems.
* Trained new librarians and staff on library functions, including public records search through PACER, Lexis-Nexis, and other databases/systems. Created internal PACER pathfinder for staff.
* Indexed video records and incoming stills/photos for on-air use and resale, improving functionality and ease of access.
* Managed print collection of 3,000 publication; selected, purchased, and organized reference books and periodicals.
* Created and maintained end-user accounts (up to 10,000) on Nexis, Factiva, and the Wall Street Journal for CNN staff. Rectified various account and IP-based issues.
* Credited with increasing the popularity of the CNN online news challenge by compiling and uploading highly topical questions.
* Maintained the in-house war casualty database, updating and retrieving information.
THE DAYTONA BEACH NEWS–JOURNAL CORP., DAYTONA BEACH, FL
NEWS RESEARCHER - AUGUST 2000 – SEPTEMBER 2006
Provided timely, accurate research for reporters and editors on this two-county newspaper with a circulation count of 78,000 daily and 102,000 Sundays. Catalogued library holdings using Dewey Decimal Classification. Provided recommendations on library selections. Wrote several newspaper articles.
* Received Employee of the Month Award four times for both individual and team efforts.
* Served on call for late-breaking news, including the space shuttle explosion and Florida hurricane, performing with poise and focus through challenging, deadline-driven circumstances.
* Contributed to newspaper layout, creating newspaper sidebars of information related to main news stories, such as timelines, chronologies, and "Did You Know" boxes, supporting a reader-friendly approach to big news events.
* Digitally archived text and photos of daily newspaper for internal and public use. Managed and indexed historic photos for assimilation into digital archives. Digitized archival photos for indexing and resale. Prepared each edition the newspaper for microfilming. Organized subject clip files.
* Trained reporters on various research systems and techniques, including criminal search database (CJIS), Reference USA, archival database (SCC Mediagrid), and Boolean and metadata searches.
Library Assistant—Intern, Du Pont Ball Library (2003–2004)
Library Assistant—Volunteer, Deltona Regional Library (2004)
Library Assistant, Du Pont Ball Library (1999)
Computer Consultant—Work Study, Gillespie Museum of Minerals (1996–1999)
UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH FLORIDA, TAMPA, FL
MASTER OF SCIENCE—LIBRARY SCIENCE, 2004
Completed degree while taking on fulltime employment, internship, and volunteer work.
STETSON UNIVERSITY, DELAND, FL
BACHELOR OF ARTS—HISTORY, 1999
FLORIDA LIBRARY ASSOCIATION (2003–2006)
SPECIAL LIBRARY ASSOCIATION (2006–2009)
MS Office Suite
Candidate Contact Information:
|JobSpider.com has chosen not to make contact information available on this page.
Click "Contact Candidate" to send this candidate a response.