Recording Technician I
Employment Type: 1 - Full-time Temporary
Pay Range: $2,884.00 - 3,606.00
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Overtime Exempt: No
Elected Office / Department: CLERK & RECORDER
DEFINITION OF WORK: The Recording Technician I is a technical and professional level position responsible for input, retrieval and quality control of permanent land records documents through the Land Records Management System, microfilm, microfiche and historical books. The Recording Technician I will also evaluate, prepare, image, index and quality check the images of all chattel mortgage and power of attorney documents received from the Motor Vehicle Division. While performing these duties the Technician will ensure: that all County retention policies and procedures for archival and all State and Federal guidelines, rules and regulations are adhered to.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (The following examples are illustrative only and are not intended to be all inclusive)
- Open, review, appropriately sort and disperse all incoming mail to the appropriate divisions and departments within the building.
- This requires knowledge of the building occupants, their roles and responsibilities as well as knowledge of division and department functions within the County.
- Mail may contain confidential or sensitive information and the Technician must hold this information in the strictest of confidence and adhere to Office Policy and State and Federal law regarding the handling of the documents and information they contain.
- Screen documents presented for entry into the permanent public record to determine their record-ability in compliance with state statute and office policy. Record documents into the LRMS using the appropriate function, document title, page count and receipt all monies collected.
- The Technician will return ineligible documents and payments to the submitting party with clear, concise and easily understandable written instructions on corrections needed.
- Responsible for returning original recorded documents to the appropriate party.
- The Technician will be required to collect and receipt monies due through the LRMS accurately and in compliance with department and county cash handling policies.
- This includes knowledge of credit card payment system.
- Cashier drawers will be balanced nightly and reconciled against monies due in the LRMS.
- Prepare and submit daily deposit.
- Discrepancies must be identified quickly and immediately reported to the Lead and Manager for reconciliation.
- Enter required information into the LRMS including but not limited to: submitting party and name and address where documents should be returned to.
- Information must be completed in compliance with state statute and office policy.
- Entry into the LRMS must be accurate and efficient in order to maintain compliance with state statute regarding search criteria and timely access to records.
- Identify, document and forward discrepancies between document images and indexes to the Lead or Manager for correction in a timely manner.
- This requires attention to detail and familiarity with indexing standards and statutes.
- Review chattel mortgage documents and power of attorney documents received from the Motor Vehicle Division to determine if the documents are eligible to be imaged, indexed and quality checked.
- Familiarity with over-sized, fragile documents is required.
- Documents eligible for imaging must be broken down into appropriate sized batches and all document counts verified against batch labels.
- Imaged documents must be grouped into organized batches, indexed and quality checked to ensure the image for each document is correct, accurate and legible.
- High speed, large format scanners will be used to image Motor Vehicle documents and imaging software will be used to enter the documents into the County content management system.
- Any and all incorrect images must be reported to the Manager for correction. Any missing images must be documented and reported to the Manager immediately.
- Documents that were pulled for correction must be separated from batches and entered correctly and independently from other documents.
- Chattel mortgages for manufactured homes, motor homes and tractor trailers must be handled separately from other documents and entered correctly into the content management system to ensure compliance with the retention schedule as required by the County and State Department of Revenue.
- Prepare all plats and land survey plats for archival using approved materials and handling processes.
- File all documents presented by Special Districts and Municipalities in the appropriate files.
- Maintain order in all files by following established file methods and paying attention to detail.
- Adhere to all County, State and Federal policies regarding document retention and ensure that any documents purged through the retention process are accurately noted on the Master Destruction Log.
- Ensure new documents or books added to the historical vault are appropriately noted on the Vault Inventory List.
- Perform quarterly audits of the vault to ensure the list accurately reflects the contents.
- Gather all necessary supplies to prepare packets for marriage and civil union licenses and ensure that packets contain the correct license, the proper seal and the most up to date information available.
- The Technician must possess good listening skills and the ability to respond in a calm and professional manner to co-workers, managers, customers and staff from other divisions.
- Performs research using the Land Records Management System (LRMS), the County content management system, microfilm, microfiche, historical books, state statutes, office policies and other available resources in order to satisfy inquiries and requests.
- Must stay informed of changes to state statutes and implement changes to all processes and policies due to any new legislation.
- Computer proficiency and technological literacy are required to perform this position appropriately. Proficiency with Microsoft Office Software is desired.
The Technician must be able to multi-task while maintaining accuracy and focus, and work in a fast paced environment.
- May assist other Technicians, Lead or Manager as required.
- The Technician will be required to assist the Election Department on all Election Days, and complete cross training as required.
Performs other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Technician should be able to work independently, with minimal supervisor and know and understand when situations should be advanced to a higher level of authority.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibility.
CONSEQUENCE OF ERROR:
- Failure to provide and obtain accurate information could result in documents being wrongly rejected, customers receiving the wrong documents or not receiving their documents at all.
- Additionally, mishandling documents or information could result in permanent loss of documents, document images and cause serious economic ramifications for title companies, lenders and homeowners, Special Districts and Municipalities.
- Work is highly independent under the general guidance of a supervisor.
- The Technician must be able to accurately determine, on their own or with the assistance of available resources, the eligibility of document for entry into the official public records.
- Determine if documents are to be archived as official permanent record or handled according to the retention policy.
CONTACTS: The Technician interacts with the public, other County departments, lenders, title companies, and technical staff from IT or the LRMS on a daily basis.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- GED or High School Equivalent.
- Minimum of one year experience in a customer service field is required.
- Prior experience with land records, cash handling, document imaging and data entry is preferred.
- The Recording Technician I must complete all Department required training as required.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing in a clear, concise and easily understandable manner.
- Qualified applicant will be able to type 50 WPM and be proficient in computer applications.
- Experience with LRMS and Imaging software is a plus.
Ability to provide excellent customer service during difficult circumstances is essential.
Physical Demands: Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
Technician will be required to sit and stand for long periods of time and will use repetitive motion consistently.
General Work Environment: Work is performed in a typical office environment. The Techn ician will use computers, calculators, scanners, printers, fax machines, telephones and microfilm machines on a daily basis.
The ability to successfully complete pre-employment screening including but not limited to: reference checks, criminal background (which may include fingerprinting through a national database), degree verification, motor vehicle record check and drug screen is required.
The job details outlined in this posting represent a modified summary of the full job description. A full copy of the job description may be requested by emailing .