WHO WE ARE:
The Teacher Retirement System of Texas is the largest public retirement system in Texas, serving more than 1.5 million people. Innovation, technology, and collaboration make the difference as we strive to continue earning your trust every day. TRS improves the retirement security of Texas public education employees through our 'best in class' investment management and delivery of pension and health care benefits.
Our Mission: Improving the retirement security of TRS members by prudently investing and managing the Trust assets and delivering benefits that make a positive difference in their lives.
Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) is developing groundbreaking solutions to manage retirement & healthcare services as well as maximizing investment returns for the state's public education employees. Succeeding in life is about commitment and hard work-maybe a favorite school teacher imparted that idea to you along the way. At TRS, we take that to heart and believe life can also be a balance between giving back while excelling professionally.
State Classification: Network Specialist V/0291 (B24)
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
* Collaborates with business staff, vendors, and other technical staff in determining network design specifications.
* Configures, administers, and provides standards for enterprise grade technology including network and telephony components.
* Evaluates new network and telephony hardware/software, and upgrades to existing software to identify strengths, weaknesses, and potential benefits to the agency, and makes recommendations regarding purchase of software and hardware.
* Implements and installs mid-size technical projects and products related to networking and telephony, both on-prem and cloud based.
* Responsible for the processing of moves, adds, and changes to network and telephony devices and systems, including coordinating with vendors and agency staff.
* Assists in the development, maintenance, and testing of the agency's disaster recovery plans, processes, and procedures.
* Assists other IT teams on application design issues as they relate to network and telephony performance.
* Coordinates with other agency staff to maintain network and telephony security and to ensure a fully integrated information systems environment.
* Installs and coordinates repairs of network and telephony systems and cabling.
* Installs and tests network and telephony hardware and software, performs routine maintenance and applies vendor updates to software and hardware.
* Monitors network and telephony applications to ensure performance and reliability.
* Provides guidance, training, and technical assistance to other IT staff on installation, maintenance, and use of network and telephony hardware and software.
* Troubleshoots and resolves complex technical issues; analyzes and solves critical problems.
Performs on-call or scheduled after hours and related work as required
WHAT YOU WILL BRING:
Minimum Required Qualifications
* Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
* High School graduation or equivalent and additional full-time work experience in information systems, network administration, telecommunications, systems analysis, programming, database administration, computer operations, or a related technically oriented field may substitute for the required education on a year for year basis.
* Five (5) years of full-time, recent network administration experience, including four (4) years maintaining and operating a large Cisco network or telephony system.
* Experience with the following technologies: Cisco network equipment, Cisco Call Manager, cloud or on-prem based call center technologies, enterprise mobility management software, Fortinet firewalls, F5 load balancers, Microsoft Windows Server, Microsoft Active Directory, web application firewalls, SolarWinds monitoring suite, network security concepts, and network structured cabling.
* Possession of one or more of the following certifications: Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA), Cisco Certified Networking Professional (CCNP), Cisco Certified Internetwork Engineer (CCIE), or Cisco Systems or equivalent vendor certification in areas of datacenter, network, security, or telephony.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* The practices, principles, and techniques of network management and computer operations.
* Network routing/switching/security platforms including Nexus, Catalyst, ICE, wireless, Fortigate, and F5 load balancers; including configuring, analyzing, and troubleshooting complex networks.
* Telephony platforms including cloud-based call center technologies, such as IVR, ACD, Quality Monitoring, and Workforce Management; including configuring, analyzing, and troubleshooting Cisco Call Manager VOIP telephony systems.
* Setting up and maintaining mobile devices including pagers, cellular telephone, and smartphones; and training staff in use of same.
* Vendor management including system support, problem resolution, and root cause analysis.
* Planning, organizing, and coordinating work assignments to effectively meet frequent and/or multiple deadlines, handling multiple tasks simultaneously, and managing conflicting priorities and demands.
* Analyzing problems and devising effective solutions.
* Verbal and written communication of complex technical information.
* Using a computer in a Windows environment with word processing, spreadsheet and other business software.