Director of Public Relations Job
|Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
||Date Posted: 10/18/2019
|Job Code: 2019-19392
Director of Public Relations
Purpose of Position
The Director of Public Relations will lead our PR team and our brand to new heights. The Director of PR will be responsible for overseeing the development and execution of various publicity campaigns, ensuring that our brand image remains consistent and positive, all while expanding it to a wider audience. Ideally, Public Relations Director should be an excellent leader with a deep understanding of the latest public relations trends and technologies. The top candidate will be an excellent communicator, capable of representing our brand effectively to the public.
Primary or Key Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Oversee the daily operations of the public relations team.
- Collaborate with the PR team to plan and execute publicity campaigns.
- Develop, monitor, and manage relationships with external stakeholders including influencers, government officials, community leaders, etc.
- Delegate tasks to members of the PR team, and monitoring their progress.
- Develop and implement systems to ensure timely identification of newsworthy issues, events, and people.
- Monitor, maintain and evaluate media coverage and placements through Public Relations management software.
- Develop and disseminate news stories, pitches, letters to the editor, public service announcements and other appropriate news material for multiple Master Brands across various business units.
- Maintain excellent relationships with reporters and editors and conduct appropriate follow-up to ensure adequate placement and coverage.
- Develop and coordinate news conferences and media events, when appropriate.
- Direct the development of communications copy, including human-interest features, award-nominations, scripts, newsletters, etc. for multiple Master Brands across various business units.
- Develop and provide communications support for executive staff and CEO as well as develop strategies for executive positioning.
- Develop and maintain crisis communications plans and responses and ensure all parties are fully prepared to implement plans when and if required.
- Serve as media spokesperson for the organization and address negative press or PR crises if they occur.
- Evaluate communications programs and strategies to ensure positive and consistent messages and support agency objectives, and ensure consistency in PR content for multiple Master Brands across various business units.
- Speaking on behalf of the company in interviews and press conferences.
- Presenting reports on the effectiveness of campaigns.
- Managing public relations budget
- Deliver Results
- Ambition to achieve goals/objectives and the discipline, organization and perseverance to deliver outstanding customer service.
- Focus on delivering improved performance.
- Demonstrate understanding of what high performance looks like in their area of the business.
- Set challenging goals for self and others.
- Seek feedback from others in order to plan performance improvement to achieve goals.
- Appear energized and energizes others by exceeding set goals.
- Develop clear and realistic targets and plans for self and others, to ensure optimum delivery of specific objectives.
- Strives to overcome perceived obstacles.
- Challenges established ways of doing things to achieve goals more effectively.
- Act Commercially
- Ability to gather and make sense of large amounts of information and apply it to make business and customer focused decisions.
- Analyze problems thoroughly and make good and timely decisions.
- Use understanding of trends and patterns in business data to develop business plans, actions or processes.
- Research the competitive environment to identify opportunities and threats.
- Use financial and business information to identify key activities that are linked to high performance.
- Review the business processes and activities in order to seek improvement.
- Make tough business decisions in light of customer and commercial requirements.
- Manage Self
- Manage emotions to remain calm, focused and optimistic while dealing with a constant stream of demands.
- Display courage.
- Show awareness of both positive and negative impact on others and how this affects outcomes.
- Adapt behavior to positively affect outcomes.
- Express a belief that they and colleagues possess the capability to resolve challenging issues.
- Ask for feedback from others and uses this to plan development.
- Resolute in sticking to decisions that are beneficial to the business, even if they are not popular.
- Coach and Develop
- Encourage long term development of others to build capability.
- Provide structure and consistent feedback.
- Provide specific positive and balanced feedback for developmental purposes.
- Give negative feedback in behavioral rather than personal terms.
- Provide suggestions to others on how to tackle areas for development.
- Use the information from the Performance Development Review to identify strengths and areas for development for others.
- Celebrate success.
- Work with Others
- Build relationships and collaborating with others (e.g. customers, colleagues, partners & suppliers) to achieve our mission.
- Involve others.
- Seek input and opinions from others to help make a specific decision.
- Build and maintain positive relationships in the team by valuing others' contribution and experience.
- Demonstrate willingness to learn from others' experience and contribution.
- Work in partnership with others to achieve individual and team objectives.
- Take initiative to resolve conflict through listening to all parties.
- Display Leadership
- Ability to inspire others to achieve Rentokil North America's objectives and to hold them accountable for high standards of performance.
- Make the team effective and hold individuals to account.
- Create the environment that enables the team to perform at its best (e.g. engaging others in the vision, providing appropriate structure, getting the right people, keeping up morale).
- Effectively delegates' responsibility, providing support as required.
- Demand high levels of performance, quality of service, and holds people to account by ensuring targets are met.
- Recognize as the natural 'go to' person.
- Develop relationships across the teams and inspires others to achieve results.
|Program of Study|
- Bachelor's degree in a related area, BA or BS; Master's degree a plus.
- Deep knowledge of public relations strategies with the ability to execute to successful outcomes
- Must possess superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills with a heightened sense of attention to detail are key characteristics of the perfect candidate
- Strong interpersonal skills that allow for healthy internal and external relationships are a must
|Years of Experience|
|Type of Experience|
- Five or more (5+) years of news reporting, editing/writing and/or media relations experience.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams including sales, marketing, and product management.
- Effective presentation skills
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to solve problems and function independently in a fast-paced work setting where change is the constant, not the exception.
- Three or more (3+) years of experience supervising others.
- Knowledge of the Google Platform - gmail, Sheets, Docs, etc. along with Microsoft Office Suite with a focus on PowerPoint and graphics and/or presentation software.
Certifications & Licensures
Licenses/certificates as required by federal, state or local agencies and valid Driver's license
The Director of Public Relations may report to an office, but can also work remotely. Some time will be sent traveling. There may be overnight travel required.
Work Schedule: This job has regular office hours but may have extended hours due to time-sensitive deadlines or required travel. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. Evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
We are Proudly an Equal Opportunity Employer!
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Link to Federal employment poster:
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision
Position Type: Full-Time Permanent
Years of Experience Required:
|Contact Name: Rentokil