We are looking for a Senior Program Manager (SPM) to help us manage and support the East and Southern Africa Country teams. The SPM works closely with the Regional Program Director and manages the Program Support Team (PST) to increase access to and use of safe abortion and contraception for women and girls. The PST provides support in proposal and budget development, donor and organizational compliance, meeting reporting requirements and deadlines, designing initiatives, monitoring program performance, and increasing impact and improving effectiveness based on evidence.
The Senior Program Manager will lead the ESA program support team (PST) to provide programmatic, financial, and administrative leadership and support to 9 countries. You will work as the liaison between the ESA PST and the Technical Support Manager and Award Management Deputy Director. Along with the PD and the CDs, you will represent Ipas's activities with key stakeholders.
Manage and retain talent:
- Lead Program Managers, Program Financial Analysts, and Program Coordinators, this includes recruitment, development, training, and supervision;
- Work closely with HR counterpart to address HR issues for PST and Country Program Staff in timely manner and in alignment with Ipas policies and standards;
- Develop and maintain systems that ensure the safety and security of the team and Ipas assets in all aspects of its work according to best practices, Ipas standard operating procedures, and field realities. Liaise with the Global Safety and Security Manager and Program Director on crucial events, high-risk periods, and incident reporting and security policy changes.
- Provide timely guidance both critical and positive to team members. Support team members to directly share their feedback and help develop their skills to make it a productive and valued experience.
Build Institutional Strength:
- Oversee the Annual Operating Budget process for the region.
- Establish a country strategic planning and monitoring process to localize the Ipas SP.
- Contribute to and lead organizational effectiveness and strengthening initiatives for the region.
- Ensure consistent and quality support to country programs to achieve their strategic objectives.
- Support the Regional Program Director to drive and monitor the Ipas Strategic Plan objectives.
- Lead the assessment of regional capacity needs for country programs and working on the implementation of performance improvement strategies and plans to meet those needs.
- Review and provide feedback on performance metrics, financial targets, deliverables and progress against audit recommendations. Escalate issues to RPD as needed.
- Manage the tracking of Country Program Quality Standards and support countries to achieve and maintain these standards.
- Be available for rapid response, including unscheduled travel, when unexpected and urgent situations arise in-country.
- Assist the Regional Program Director with other tasks and projects as necessary, including representing the RPD in meetings as requested.
Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum two years' work experience in a developing country.
- Senior program management experience.
- Five years of personnel, program, and/or financial management experience.
- Relevant post-graduate degree (MBA, MIA, MPH, etc.) or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated experience in international sexual and reproductive health issues.
- Fluency in English required, preference for French and/or Portuguese.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- This position requires 30% travel.
You have been a Senior Manager of a country or regional program. You have worked with a team developing and managing projects. You have a proven track record in strengthening institution, management, and leadership capacity.
Decisive Risk Management & Problem Solving
Anticipates challenges and find solutions. Seeks the necessary inputs, analyzes the data at hand, identifies potential risks, and makes a decision. Can move forward even when information is imperfect. Documents analysis, intentions, and desired outcome of key decisions. Reviews the impact and consequences and openly learns from mistakes
Communication & Collaboration
Actively listens and communicates -connects easily with her/his team and gains their trust and respect. Works well across all organizational teams. Demonstrates clear and concise information and idea sharing to help your staff learn, grow, and thrive in their work.
You are able to identify new opportunities for donors and partners for programs. You are able to spot trends and keep the Ipas Country Directors updated and informed about donor strategies, global evidence, and new approaches to management, development, and reproductive health.
Take the Work Seriously but Not Yourself.
Strive to do your best but know no one is perfect, you can laugh and learn from your mistakes. You also know when the search for perfection will have a negative impact on the women and girls we are trying to serve.