MAXIMUS Federal Services is looking for a Technical Writer/Editor to be an integral part of our software development efforts. The Technical Writer/Editor will work with internal teams and customers to create and maintain high-quality technical documentation (design documents, user guides, operational support plans, etc.) in an Agile environment. In addition to writing, the successful candidate will be responsible for final review of deliverables to ensure they are error-free and formatted correctly.
Project Specific Duties:
*Works with internal teams to obtain an in-depth understanding of documentation requirements.
*Writes easy-to-understand text for design documents, user guides, operational support plans, and other technical documentation.
*Attends meetings and brainstorming sessions to identify, gather, and document software requirements.
*Captures meeting minutes/notes and distributes electronically as required.
*Works closely with project managers and team leads to create weekly status and financial reports.
*Occasionally provides administrative services to the office such as ordering office supplies and assisting with employee onboarding activities.
Education and Experience:
*Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university. An additional 4 years of related experience may substitute for degree.
*At least 5 years of relevant experience creating and editing technical documentation.
*Ability to grasp complex technical concepts and make them easily understandable in text and diagrams.
*Excellent communication and writing skills in English.
*Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of applications to include Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Visio, and SharePoint.
*Basic familiarity with software development strongly preferred.
*Experience working in Agile (Scrum) environments preferred.
*IT and Federal Government contracting experience a plus.
*Must have the ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust clearance.
*Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead teams of subject matter experts and coordinate with the Project Leads to create program artifacts.
- Work with Program Executive and Project Management Office (PMO) to get documents reviewed.
- Maintain responsibility for writing and editing documentation including the creation of a program style guide, training materials, user manuals, presentations and other artifacts, as necessary.
- Gather, analyze, and compose program information and conduct research and ensure the use of proper terminology.
- Translate technical information into clear, readable documents for technical and business users.
- Develop materials and train staff on the writing style and customer communications.
- Improve editorial and visual standards for documents and recommend new designs, layouts and procedures, as needed.
- Support the program administrative team with office management functions and staff support.
- Typically requires a minimum of 5 years of related experience with a Bachelor's degree; or 3 years and a Master's degree; or a PhD without experience; or equivalent work experience.
- Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors.
- Demonstrates good judgement in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Networks with senior internal and external personnel in own area of expertise.
A committed and diverse workforce is our most important resource.
MAXIMUS is and Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
MAXIMUS provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or disabled status.