The Continuous Improvement Strategy Analyst at Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) will drive the implementation of strategic initiatives with continuous improvement consultation by performing highly advanced business process improvement, and professional administrative and policy research and analysis work. Work involves researching and analyzing department and agency policies, procedures, and practices; providing complex business process improvement consultation to agency business units and management; developing and promoting an agency specific continuous improvement product; validating and/or creating performance measure standards for internal customers; strategic planning; and conducting complex research and analysis. Plans and assigns the work of others related to special projects and assignments. Trains others. This position is located in downtown Austin and reports to the Director of Strategic Initiatives.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
Business Process Improvement Consultant
· Performs complex research and analysis of agency and department policies, procedures, and practices to assist management in operating more efficiently and effectively and to identify and generate insight for best practices and process improvements.
· Consults with management in the development and execution of continuous improvement plans designed to attain TRS goals and objectives.
· Develops and promotes an agency specific continuous improvement product.
· Trains internal customers on components of continuous improvement product as appropriate.
· Creates continuous improvement deliverables including analyses, reports, and presentations.
· Develops and/or validates performance measure standards for internal customers including the creation of dashboards.
· Oversees, plans, directs, and develops organizational/departmental process mapping and business process improvement function.
· Assesses process designs for gaps, non-value added steps, and other impediments to efficient operation.
· Identifies improvement opportunities through the analysis of data and designs and develops process improvement solutions.
· Uses Lean/Six Sigma or other methodologies to identify, recommend, and facilitate improvement opportunities resulting in achievement of the agency's defined goals and objectives.
· Designs and facilitates customer insight sessions, leads cross functional teams to generate ideas for solutions that enhance customer experience.
· Collaborates with various business units to map existing processes in the necessary details to understand current state and assess process performance.
· Develops comprehensive cost benefit analyses to capture financial impacts of initiatives
· Creates metrics to track benefits of improvement implementations.
· Advises management on solutions for process improvement by identifying priorities and defining purpose, objectives, time frames, and resource requirements.
· Interprets historical, current, and projected data to identify problems, causes, and areas for which procedural changes are needed.
· Reviews and evaluates recommendations for improvement and corrective action to standardize or improve process.
· Serves as an internal advisor and strategic consultant to the business units or functional area to coach and provide direction in order to achieve desired business results.
· Works to improve efficiency and effectiveness of processes, ensuring the highest level of quality within our operations and minimizing operational risk.
· Implements effective and required changes while driving continuous process improvement.
· Collaborates with departments agency-wide to identify relationships that can be used to prescribe actions and predict results as well as evaluate the effectiveness and areas of organization strength and weakness.
· Develops process improvement and optimization recommendations and provides them to leadership. Identifies new ways to leverage data and information to drive insights and understand customer and employee experiences.
· Performs business analytics and connect problem solving and continuous improvement activities to a business case.
· Across business units, facilitates the assessment of issues, the compilation and analysis of data, the development of improvement teams, the design and collections of metrics, the facilitation of improvement efforts, and implement the active daily management approach to sustain performance.
· Evaluates pension industry developments and makes recommendations for possible agency actions
· Assists with the strategic planning process and promotes strategic planning across TRS when needed.
· Assists with leading TRS in developing enterprise strategy and cascading it throughout the organization.
· Assists management with developing strategies, tactics and related Key Performance Indicators when needed.
· Promotes strategic planning across TRS.
· Compiles and analyzes data to improve strategic decision making.
· Assists management with aligning processes, resources-planning and department goals with overall strategy.
· Assists with the agency's biennial strategic planning process and provides assistance with coordination and development of the TRS strategic plan.
Research and Analysis
· Researches and analyzes agency policies, procedures and practices to identify and generate insight for best practices and process improvements.
· Researches pension industry trends and best practices to help identify next big issues for improvement.
· Facilitates brainstorming sessions with cross-functional teams to identify ideas to continuously move TRS forward in the advancement of our mission.
· Collaborates with departments agency-wide to identify relationships that can be used to prescribe actions and predict results as well as evaluate the effectiveness and areas of organizational strength and weakness.
· Coordinates and/or assists in developing research and program evaluation models and methods, particularly those that impact process changes and improvements.
· Monitors and reviews current organizational, procedural, and operational systems for effectiveness, efficiency, and conformance to established guidelines.
· Makes recommendations to management for possible solutions to advance the TRS mission.
· Compiles and analyzes data to improve strategic decision making.
WHAT YOU WILL BRING:
Minimum Required Qualifications
· Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in business management, public administration, or other closely related field of study.
· Additional related experience may substitute for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
· Three (3) years of experience in business analytics and process improvement, process engineering, operations process analysis, auditing or related experience.
· Experience may be concurrent.
· Training in Government Quality and Improvement principles and tools.
· Lean/Six Sigma/Theory of Constraints methodology experience.
· Experience with a strategic planning framework (Ex: Balanced Scorecard, McKinsey's Strategic Horizons).
· Advanced consultative skills in strategic decision making.
· Strategic Planning experience.
To view all job vacancies, visit www.trs.texas.gov/careers or www.trs.csod.com/careersite.
For more information, visit www.trs.texas.gov.