The Field Director (FD) of Medical Science Liaisons (MSL): ARD Ophthalmology/Sarcoidosis is a leadership role of the field-based medical affairs team whose function is an extension of the Global Medical Affairs (GMA) organization. The FDs participate as part of the Autoimmune and Rare Disease (ARD) Field Medical Leadership Team, reporting to the Sr. Director Field Medical Affairs ARD, with responsibility for oversight of the ARD Ophthalmology/Sarcoidosis MSL team (including staffing, skills development, performance assessment, goals/metrics, compensation management, and coaching). The FD is responsible for inputting into the field strategy/priorities for the Ophthalmology/Sarcoidosis Therapeutic Area and with work closely with the Sr. Director Field Medical Affairs and Thearapetuic Area Medical Directors. The FD is expected to facilitate feedback from the MSL team to assist the development of tactics that will aid in strategic planning, enhance the quality of clinical research, increase the accuracy of assessments, and improve the positioning of MNK product(s). FDs will serves as an internally facing strategic field lead for Ophthalmology/Sarcoidosis, where they will closely work with that TA's medical director.
FDs have no sales objectives or accountability for prescribing or sales of any MNK product(s) and are required to avoid any situations that could create the appearance that they have such responsibilities.
- Implement field strategy and priorities for the region in alignment with the GMA strategy and priorities
- Accountable to the Sr. Director Field Medical Affairs:
- Training plan
- Represent the ARD Ophthalmology/Sarcoidosis field organization in commercial, development, and GMA forums
- Represent the ARD Ophthalmology/Sarcoidosis organization with internal and external collaborators
- Supervise MSLs assigned to them
- Skills development and performance assessment
- Career facilitation
- Support appropriate cross-organizational initiatives as determined by Sr. Director Field Medical Affairs
Department specific/Non-essential responsibilities:
- Must be committed to full compliance with all company SOPs, regulatory requirements, and applicable laws including PhRMA guidelines for field-based personnel.
- Applicants must possess a valid driver's license
Experience / Skills:
- Advanced scientific degree (MD, OD, PhD, PharmD) or equivalent experience.
- A minimum of 10 years' experience in the pharmaceutical industry, other healthcare environment or equivalent experience is preferred.
- A minimum of 8+ years of leadership experience required
- A strong background in Ophthalmology or Sarcoidosis is preferred
- Thorough knowledge of medicine, treatment guidelines, clinical research processes, customer strategies, and FDA promotional guidelines, regulations, and ethical guidelines is required.
- Solid interpersonal communication and presentation skills.
- Must be a strong team player and effectively collaborate with internal departments.
- Work independently
- Patient and partner focus
- Learning ability
- Problem solving
- Relationship building
- Self-awareness and adaptability
- Strategic thinking
This position reports to the Sr. Director Field Medical Affairs ARD. The FD will have contact with internal colleagues in pharmaceuticals, marketing, sales, research and development, strategy/portfolio management, regulatory, and medical affairs. External collaboration includes trade associations, professional societies, payers, clinicians, policy thought leaders, and various government personnel/ agencies. Collaboration across a matrix organization is required.
Ability to travel, up to 60% of the time