|Location: Woodland Hills, California
||Date Posted: 12/21/2022
|Job Code: 17001S1-2191
Looking for a chance to do meaningful work that touches millions? Come join the hardest working, nonprofit health plan in California and help us shape the future of health care. Blue Shield of California is focused on transforming health care by making it more accessible, affordable and customer-centric. Being a mission-driven organization means we do much more than serve our 3.5 million members: we were the first health plan in the nation to limit our annual net income to 2 percent of revenue and return the difference to our customers and the community, and since 2005 we have contributed more than million to the Blue Shield of California Foundation to improve community health and end domestic violence. We also believe that a healthier California begins with our employees, so we provide them with resources to develop and maintain a healthy lifestyle through our award-winning wellness program, Wellvolution.
We're hiring smart thinkers and doers who want to work for a leader and innovator in the challenging, ever-changing healthcare space. Come and help us make health care better for everyone.
Reporting directly to the VP, General Manager of Senior Markets the Senior Director of Senior Markets Sales will be responsible for all management oversight and end-to-end leadership activities for the Senior Markets sales organization. This includes managing sales across multiple channels, including direct, broker, digital/online, private exchange, and group retiree;, overseeing training and development of Senior Markets sales staff; leading outreach and events teams; establishing policies and procedures as needed, and executing strategies to meet and exceed membership, revenue and operating income goals.
The Senior Director of Senior Markets Sales will be based in our Woodland Hills, Ca office and lead a direct team upwards of 20 professionals, with a matrixed/shared partner oversight of approximately 100 professionals, to drive sales teams to top performance.
• Develops and executes a business strategy for Senior Markets sales, by establishing and identifying growth opportunities, setting sales targets, and ensuring that Blue Shield of California products and internal systems meet the needs of the Medicare business segment
• Creates and develops a Medicare sales business strategy that ensures that Blue Shield is positioned as a prime option to meet the needs of customers across multiple channels, including direct, broker, online, exchange, internal Blue and group retiree sales
• Build a strong sales environment by evaluating, coaching and motivating the sales team
• Develops and fosters viable relationships with brokers and strategic partners
• Identifies the needs of the various segments and ensure that Blue Shield of California's products and systems are readily in place to meet those needs
• Establishes clear sales team responsibilities and objectives, manages the day -to-day direction of the sales teams and coaches and holds people accountable for their actions
• Recommends changes in the basic structure and organization of the sales group, ensuring the fulfillment of its assigned objectives and providing the flexibility to move swiftly in relation to problems and opportunities, as well as rapid pace changes in the marketplace
• Manage the development and execution of a robust online/digital strategy to drive growth in this channel
• Implements initiatives to support EverBlue opportunities to maximize the retention of existing BSC membership in Commercial and Individual products into Senior Markets
• Manages the Group Retiree sales channel, working with Commercial lines of business to grow the group retiree business portfolio
• Manage Private exchange channels including technology connections, sales requirements and relationship management
• Oversees the Outreach and Events teams to drive event attendance and leads through events to maximize direct sales, and increase grassroots and community visibility
• Works closely with Marketing to ensure that all acquisition marketing activities and spend match overall sales strategies across the state
• Provides cooperation and teamwork while working to achieve collective outcomes: includes peers and/or key stakeholders when making decisions that affect organization operations
• Actively promotes Blue Shield of California's product and service advantages in the marketplace
• Oversees the sales support team in meeting their goals
• Responsible for ensuring that sales and brokers are fully compliant with both internal and external rules and regulations
• Demonstrates a strong understanding of the external market and introduces concepts based on market activity and expectation
• Responsible for managing an administrative budget and is instrumental in the pricing decisions for this specific line of business
• Responsible for meeting CMS federal regulations regarding broker and direct sales staff requirements
• Ensure that the overall consumer experience in Senior Markets is consistently delivered and that we maintain thoughtful and efficient compliance with all laws, regulations and contractual requirements related to the Senior Markets business
• Implement and lead a continuous quality improvement process in the Sales teams, focusing on CMS-compliant systems/process improvement
• Lead a high-performing team to the next level by further developing and implementing recruiting, training, and retention strategies
• Ensure that all program activities operate consistently and ethically within the mission and values of Blue Shield of California, CMS, HHS and other regulatory bodies
• Prepare and submit an annual sales budget to Blue Shield leadership for review and approval; manage budget effectively budget, and report accurately on progress made and challenges encountered
Prepare and submit an annual sales achievement plan to Blue Shield leadership for review and approval; manage sales channels effectively to achieve annual sales goals, and report monthly on progress made and challenges and encountered/overcome
• Maintains a high level of exposure and awareness on changes with the regulatory and political environment that characterizes a government-sponsored program such as Medicare and politically active group such as seniors. Maintains "domain expert" status in all Sales matters related to Senior Markets.
• Drives the enterprise-wide definition of the Senior "consumer experience" and effectively influences the organization in the delivery of this experience
• Partners with other Blue Shield leaders and cross-functional business unites to improve Sales effectiveness.
• Provides effective thought leadership to the Senior Markets and Consumer Markets teams, other cross-functional leaders throughout Blue Shield on senior and Medicare-related issues.
• Responsible for the sales integration planning and oversight of acquired membership and/or organizations.
• Provides effective leadership in attracting and retaining top talent to drive the business results for the business segment.
• Works in partnership with customers, brokers, private exchanges, BCBSA, consultants, vendors, and other key stakeholders to deliver the service and products required.
The Senior Director of Sales, Senior Markets, will have proven Sales experience in Medicare and/or other government programs. This individual will possess a strong compliance and member-centric orientation, coupled with intimate knowledge of sales regulatory requirements and best practice/sales excellence. He/She must also be a proven manager/leader comfortable operating in a matrixed/collaborative environment. In short, the successful candidate is an outstanding leader exemplifying the missions and values of Blue Shield of California.
Ideally, the candidate will possess:
• A bachelor's degree in business, marketing, communication and 10 + years sales and sales management experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience; a MBA or advanced degree is preferred
• An active life insurance license is required
• Demonstrated track record of accomplishments in health plan group sales in the insurance industry
• Eight plus years management experience
• Prefer Call center and broker sales experience
• A minimum of 5 years in the Medicare and/or Medicaid managed care environment
• Strong people management skills
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including effective delivery of executive level reports and in-person presentations
• Conceptual/Strategic thinking: Ability to understand a situation or problem by putting the pieces together, seeing the larger picture and its internal or competitive implications. It includes identifying patterns or connections between situations that are not obviously related; identifying key or underlying issues in complex situations.
• Analytical thinking: Ability to organize the parts of a problem or situation in a systematic way, making systematic comparisons of different features or aspects; setting priorities on a rational basis; identifying time sequences, causal relationships or if/then relationships.
• Technical: General sales management experience that includes substantial responsibility for sales operations and compliance in a health care environment, specifically in senior markets required. Broad knowledge of the healthcare industry including regulatory/operational trends, markets, competitors, financing, and regulation.
• Sales Operational Execution: Ability to lead direct and indirect sales teams to achieve business performance and deliver CMS requirements in an effective and efficient manner.
• Developing others: Ability which includes the intent and capability to teach or foster the learning or development of one or several other people including the ability to do the appropriate level of need analysis.
• Teamwork & cooperation: Genuine intention to work collaboratively/cooperatively with others, to be part of a team, to work together as opposed to working separately or competitively.
• Team leadership: Ability to use complex strategies to promote team morale and productivity (hiring/firing decisions, team assignments, cross-training); treating all members fairly regardless of personal feelings; making sure that the practical needs of a group are met including obtaining resources and removing barriers to success; and achieving alignment regarding mission, goals, agenda, climate, tone, and policies.
• Achievement orientation: Willingness and ability to compete against a standard of excellence including one's own, an objective measure, the performance of others (competitors) or the yet unknown, which represents innovation.
• Strategic future orientation: A bias for action that propels the organization forward and represents doing more than is required or expected by the job, customers, direct reports, peers or other stakeholders. It involves doing this when it has not been requested simply because it will create new opportunities.
• Strategic influencing: Ability to use oneself as a tool to persuade and build commitment to the vision, mission and goals of the company and to do this without using hierarchical power to get others to adopt a course of action. Strategic influencing is used at all levels in the company and with customers, regulators, vendors, and other stakeholders.
• Information seeking: A desire to know more about things, people, or issues that drives a quest and curiosity about the business, its competitors, processes, etc. that goes well beyond what is required. Information seeking involves "digging" or pressing for exact information or resolution of discrepancies by asking a series of questions; scanning for potential opportunities or for miscellaneous information that may be of future use; or getting out personally to see the situation in order to understand it better.
Position Type: Full-Time Permanent
Years of Experience Required:
|Contact Name: Blue Shield of California
|Company: Blue Shield of California