Manager, Large Group Underwriting Job
|Location: El Segundo, California
|Date Posted: 9/24/2022
|Job Code: 1700244-2191
Looking for a chance to do meaningful work that touches millions? Come join the hardest working, nonprofit health plan in California and help us shape the future of health care. Blue Shield of California's Mission is to ensure all Californians have access to high-quality care at an affordable price. Blue Shield is focused on improving health care delivery by working closely with providers and making it more accessible, affordable and customer-centric. Being a mission-driven organization means we do much more than serve our 4 million members: we were the first health plan in the nation to limit our annual net income to 2 percent of revenue and return the difference to our customers and the community, and since 2005 we have contributed more than $325 million to the Blue Shield of California Foundation to improve community health and end domestic violence. We also believe that a healthier California begins with our employees, so we provide them with resources to develop and maintain a healthy lifestyle through our award-winning wellness program, Wellvolution.
We're hiring smart thinkers and doers who want to work for a leader and innovator in the challenging, ever-changing healthcare space. Come and help us make health care better for everyone.
BSC Underwriters directly contribute to the company achieving its financial and strategic goals for individual and employer accounts. As the financial professionals who identify, evaluate and price risk, BSC underwriters are responsible for balancing increased revenue, operating income and membership goals while protecting the company's bottom line from loss.
- Ensures appropriate actuarial factors and rating methods are followed to determine accurate exposure to BSC's products.
- Ensures day-to-day work flow procedures, assignments, guidelines and quality improvement measures are effectively executed by team/unit.
- Reviews and analyzes the competitor ratings, pricing practices and assesses the appropriateness of pricing positions.
- Reviews the completion of quotes, bid specifications, benefit design strategies and financial alternatives.
- Ensures underwriters work closely with the sales teams in developing proposed rating positions and benefit offering strategies as well as participates in discussions, negotiation and relationship building with brokers, consultants, agents and/or employers.
- Participates on cross-functional and special project teams developing and implementing new processes and methods.
- Develops goals, objectives and actions plans for a team/group. May determine goals and objectives for supervisors.
- Has management responsibility for the hiring, performance, training and salary reviews, promotions and disciplinary matters for direct reporting employees.
- Works on annual budget and approves expenses.
- May have responsibility for conducting Management Review sessions on new business quotes and renewals.
- Requires a BA/BS in a related field such as Finance, Mathematics or Accounting and/or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Graduate degree (e.g. MBA) is highly desirable.
- Comprehensive knowledge of medical underwriting rating principles, funding arrangements, BSC business drivers and broker/employer sales operations.
- Advanced knowledge of healthcare industry, products and business cycles/trends.
- Excellent math or statistic skills with good judgment and attention to detail.
- Outstanding communication, facilitation, negotiation and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated leadership ability to lead direct reports and/or major cross-functional sales or project teams
Minimum Experience Level:
Generally requires eight years of relevant underwriting experience in healthcare and one to two years of supervisory experience leading a work or cross functional underwriting team.
- Has management responsibility for the hiring, performance and salary reviews, promotions and disciplinary matters for direct and indirect reporting employees.
- Develops individual goals and objectives linked to the department business plan.
- Monitors on-going employee performance and communicates feedback on goal achievement and job responsibilities.
- Provides developmental, training, coaching and mentoring opportunities for direct and indirect reports.
Position Type: Full-Time Permanent
Years of Experience Required:
|Contact Name: Blue Shield of California
|Company: Blue Shield of California