Senior Cost Accounting Analyst Job
|Location: Chicago, Illinois
||Date Posted: 7/29/2022
|Wage: $60000 - $100000 per year
|Job Code: 3107
Reporting to the Manager Asset Accounting, the Senior Cost Accounting Analyst is responsible for analyzing and understanding TTX's material and supplies transaction flow and valuation process and to ensure on-hand quantities are properly tracked and accounted for. This position will require an accounting background, a strong aptitude for financial systems and subledgers, and strong analytical skills. The Senior Cost Accounting Analyst will play a key role in the ongoing enhancement of the Oracle environment as it relates to accounting and analytics activities and the development of associated processes and tools resulting therefrom. The Senior Cost Accounting Analyst will work closely with Treasury, Financial Controls and Systems, Equipment, Supply Chain, Tax, and Financial Planning & Analysis departments as well as our Managed Service Provider (MSP) for Oracle testing and issue resolution.
- Complete all monthly, quarterly and annual accounting functions for materials and supplies inventory used in the maintenance of railcars at TTX Shops (RSOs), Field Maintenance Operations (FMOs), material Distribution Centers (DCs), third party Wheel Shops, and third party Independent Repair Facilities (IRFs).
- Proactively develop and provide relevant reports and analyses to internal TTX customers. Lead the development of Oracle BI reports, data collection, analytics, KPIs and dashboards.
- Understand how TTX accounting policies, procedures and internal controls for materials and supplies translate to monthly, quarterly and annual activities. Review, maintain, and improve relevant key processes, incorporating current technology where possible.
- Understand, document, and evaluate the end-to-end process from procurement to consumption and how those processes impact not only operations at FMOs and RSOs, but also metrics and the financial statements.
- Coordinate with Fixed Asset, Asset Management and Treasury teams on activities related to scrapping of railcars and general material scrap. Ensure the maintenance of an accurate scrap database to track and manage prices, billing and collections of scrap sales.
- Maintain relationships with Shop accountants, key Supply Chain contacts and FMO Asset Management team.
- Proactively learn and understand Oracle functionality. Identify issues as they arise and work with TTX's MSP to resolve issues independently.
- Assist with review and testing of Oracle updates and new features.
- Ensure standard operating procedures are documented and kept up to date.
- Travel to field locations to enhance understanding of field operations and conduct periodic physical inventories.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Change Management- Ability to help lead people and teams with the transition or transformation of an organization's goals, processes, tools or technologies.
- Process Mapping- Skills to visually describe the detailed flow of a process.
- Legacy Process and Systems Familiarity- Knowledge of legacy processes and their detailed maps, bottlenecks, capabilities and limitations and challenges with typical legacy systems (such as data input errors and automation gaps).
- Data Literacy- Skills to read, write and communicate data in context, with an understanding of data sources and constructs, analytical methods and techniques applied, and the ability to communicate resulting business value or outcome to stakeholders.
- Data Interpretation- Skills to correctly extract, analyze and intuit meaningful information or data from the various data sources.
- Data Manipulation- Skills to change and organize data by applying logic and calculations to make the resulting dataset easier to read and present.
- Data Quality Management- Skills to use metadata, reference data, application logs, data catalogs and technologies to search for data, identify and fix mistakes, ensure validity, and sync with raw dataset.
- Data Storytelling- Skills to build a narrative around a set of data and its related visualizations to convey the findings from the analysis and allowing individuals to understand complex aspects and use them to take action against the issues.
- Data Visualization- Skills to present data in a format that enables decision makers to see analytics presented visually and grasp difficult concepts or identify new patterns.
- Demonstrates knowledge of a broad set of relevant accounting principles and techniques.
- Evaluates and analyzes financial statements.
- Applies relevant (most suitable) cost accounting techniques.
- Records financial transactions in internal and external books of accounts.
- Keeps pace with changing accounting regulations and standards.
- Understands the impact of changes in accounting standards on finance systems and technology.
- Closes financial books accurately and efficiently.
- Identifies opportunities to simplify, standardize, and improve internal processes.
- Interprets relevant laws and regulations to ensure organizational compliance.
- Ensures strong internal control measures by establishing or upgrading control policies.
- Implements checks and balances to ensure accuracy of financial data across the organization
- Adheres to relevant compliance requirements for financial reporting.
- Guides business heads on the likely impact of regulatory changes.
- Supports business on the accounting treatment of transactions and their impact on financial statements.
- Advises internal stakeholders on the accounting implications of organizational changes (e.g., M&A) and highlights any potential risks to internal controls and compliance.
- Analyzes the financial implications of project and investment proposals.
- Monitors the impact of changing and emerging accounting standards.
- Analyzes the impact of corporate governance requirements and makes recommendations to management.
- Adjusts recommendations and advises the business based on organizational complexity and business-specific requirements.
- Understands the impact that an operating model has on reporting.
- Recognizes weaknesses in business operations.
- Guides the business to solve root causes and improve performance.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies.
- Maintains working knowledge of finance and accounting systems and applications.).
- Maintains proficiency in the use of IT applications.
- Implements IT solutions in existing accounting processes and solves integration issues independently.
- Understands and applies cloud-based accounting software and technologies
- Reports the results of operations, financial position, and cash flows
- Analyzes and reports performance metrics to management
- Ensures consistency of information across multiple systems and platforms
- 5+ years accounting experience. General and cost accounting experience required. Strong understanding of inventory accounting and related activities.
- Strong ERP system aptitude, Excel, and data skills. Experience with Oracle Cloud ERP preferred.
- Experience with advanced data tools such as BI reporting, SQL, PowerBI, Alteryx, and Tableau.
- Intellectual curious and the ability to take initiative, challenge assumptions, and solve problems through logical and critical thinking.
- Ability to gather and analyze relevant information; identify key issues/relationships, and to draw conclusions therefrom.
- Ability to use data analytics to relate and compare data from different sources and to identify cause-effect relationships.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. The ability to advise internal stakeholders and interface with all levels within TTX.
PHYSICAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
(The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
General office environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate. The employee frequently is required to remain stationary within work area and occasionally move about and use hands and fingers, handle, feel, reach, stoop, and crouch. The employee must occasionally transport up to 10 pounds. Correctable vision required.
Minimal travel to field locations is required.
The above job description is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
Position Type: Full-Time Permanent
Years of Experience Required:
|Contact Name: TTX Company
|Company: TTX Company