Sr. Communications Specialist Job
|Location: Coral Gables, Florida
||Date Posted: 2/15/2022
|Job Code: R100055433
The Phillip and Patricia Frost School of Music as an exciting opportunity for a full-time Sr. Communications Specialist to work at the Coral Gables Campus.
The incumbent reports directly to the Director of Marketing and Communications at the Frost School of Music. The Sr. Communications Specialist manages the communications and marketing work flow, and is the lead writer for the Frost website and will upload stories and contents throughout the year for the CMS website; interviews students, alumni and various other stakeholders to develop and write profile spotlights, and professional news stories and media releases; contribute content for social media and advertising, and other marketing content that proactively promotes the school. Duties also include researching, writing or updating advertising, and placing the school's media ad buys with external outlets. Also assists with managing a variety of office functions including the department's budget, vendors, Purchase Orders, and payments.
The Sr. Communications Specialist's responsibilities also include coordinating the production of the annual alumni magazine SCORE, and other school-branded publications as assigned.
May be asked, on occasion, to attend concerts and special events outside of regular office hours to gather and write follow up news stories.
- Contributes new ideas and initiatives, and works with the Director of Marketing & Communications in the development and implementation of the Frost School's marketing and communications objectives including student recruitment, and promoting the school's academic excellence, vision, and mission in tandem with its Strategic Plan
- Covers and writes about breaking news, and writes spotlight profiles about students, faculty, alumni, and major donors
- Contributes ideas in the development of advertising messages and promotional campaigns for the Frost School of Music.
- Evaluates and places advertising buys with media outlets to promote the school for branding or recruitment purposes.
- Maintains familiarity with departmental programs and projects, and works conjointly to promote the aforementioned.
- Serves as main outreach for Frost alumni and alumni relations at the U
- Responsible for the production of the annual alumni SCORE Magazine. Responsible for managing writers, mailing lists, printer, graphic design layout, photography, coordinating stories, and reaching out to Frost faculty and alumni to produce the Faculty Updates and Class Notes sections.
- Maintains positive relationships and communication with faculty, staff, students, alumni and vendors.
- Manages Communications calendars and updates timelines. Keeps appropriate parties informed and identifies areas for attention to avoid delays, ensure effective results, and meet deadlines.
- Assists in evaluating, coordinating, writing, and proof-reading marketing material for all recruitment, department, and brand-focused marketing and advertising materials. This includes printed and/or digital brochures, flyers, newsletters, posters, invitations, program books, save-the-dates, and other assigned materials.
- Works closely with Director of Production Services to develop multimedia content for social media, and with external vendors such as photographers, writers, graphic designers, printers and digital marketing agencies.
20% Media Relations
- Assists in the creation of a proactive media relations strategy to improve visibility and public awareness of the Frost School of Music through press releases, editorial stories, website updates, social media, emails, advertisements, and marketing campaigns.
- Drafts press releases or works to develop press releases with designated publicists and outside media.
- Interviews students, faculty, alumni and other stakeholders to develop news stories and media releases to proactively promote the school and its branding focus.
- Develops and maintains relationships with local and national media outlets.
- Maintains and updates media lists on internal database for public relation and editorial material.
- Manages editorial calendars and potential editorial stories for the Frost School of Music.
- Attends media engagements outside of office hours as assigned by Director of Marketing & Communications, such as press interviews or on-site media coordination.
- Serves as a liaison to the UM Central Communications office.
20% Website and Digital Marketing
- Communicates and maintains branding resources such as visual and identity standards for the Frost School of Music.
- Produces and manually updates content throughout the Frost School of Music CMS website and 20+ sub-sites, to ensure information is posted in a timely fashion, and is accurate and relevant with the current trends and interests of various audiences seeking information about the Frost School of Music.
- Responsible for reaching out to faculty and staff to retrieve updated headshots, biographies, and program content to maintain accurate information on the Frost School of Music website.
- Oversees and maintains the Frost Marketing portal for faculty input, on the website.
- Works with UM Telecommunications to learn new website initiatives and resolve any technical issues.
- Assist in the development of content for digital marketing and posting on Frost social media
- Coordinate photography and artwork for digital marketing advertising for student recruitment and national branding
- Manages Frost Communications & GO Daddy accounts
- Reviews estimates provided by vendors, manages vendor documents, creates purchase orders, and ensures vendors are paid in a timely manner.
- Monitors the department budget, POs, vendor contracts, provides budgetary analysis, etc.
- Develops and maintains superior file and organization practices.
- Responds to telephone, email and in-person requests for information.
- Manages and allocates assignments to student employees and interns
- Assists Executive Director as needed
- Liaisons effectively with other professional staff in Frost Communications and Frost Events departments, and throughout the Frost School of Music
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree in Communications or related field required
Work Experience Requirement:
Five years of experience required. Experience in the music industry preferred
- Excellent Communication skills
- Proficient writing and copy-editing skills required
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) required
- Proficient in website content entry and updates preferred
- Knowledge of how media outlets work a plus
- Ability to read music is a plus; Knowledge of a variety of musical genres and styles is a plus; Ability to understand and enter musical terminology with accuracy including instrument and composer names, vocal ranges, standard ensemble groupings, is also a plus
Position Type: Full-Time Permanent
Years of Experience Required:
|Contact Name: University of Miami Health System
|Company: University of Miami Health System