Seeking Survey Crew Cheif for Growing Engineering Firm!
Summary: In addition to the tasks and skills necessary for proficiency outlined in Instrument Operator, conducts field surveys, topographic mapping, boundary surveys, construction layout, and cadastral research. Communicates effectively with clients in the field to ensure proper definition of project scope and specification.
* Supervises Rodman and Instrument Operator in the field and in the office.
* Performs data analysis, field calculations (COGO) for stakeout, as well as, office calculations and conversions as needed.
* Interacts with clients in a positive and professional manner.
* Conducts and supervises the completion of land surveys for maintenance, location, and relocation of section corners through the use of GPS equipment and/or conventional surveying equipment.
* Conducts and supervises differential level work.
* Reduces field notes from differential level work. Make field determination if project requirements are met.
* Performs basic field calculations when requested including closing and adjusting level loops and calculating coordinate data for use in GPS navigation.
* Reviews work in progress and re-directs as necessary.
* Uses a variety of instruments including levels, total stations, scanners and GPS equipment.
* Uses and maintains company-owned vehicles.
* Coordinates with Project Managers and Survey Manager to schedule equipment use for job sites.
* Performs other related duties as required and assigned by management.
* Serves as a technical resource; works effectively individually and as a team member; establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients, supervisors, co-workers, inspectors and employees in other departments and others encountered in the course of work.
* Provides feedback regarding the performance of Jr. Party Chiefs, Instrument operators and Rodmen when asked to do so by the Survey Manager.
* Advanced knowledge of survey field techniques and survey language.
* Intermediate knowledge of State and Federal laws, and agency rules and regulations
* Advanced knowledge of the use of sophisticated GPS equipment, total stations, and other electronic surveying equipment.
* Advanced knowledge in the use of conventional surveying equipment such as levels, theodolites and total stations.
* Able to take, review and direct correction of field notes.
* Competence in coordinate geometry calculation is required.
* A general understanding of CAD software operations and its uses, is a plus.
* Advanced understanding of database and system administration techniques used to move data and files between applications and repositories and performing database queries.
* Advanced understanding of GIS concepts and processes; uses and operations of GPS data capture equipment and software.
* Ability to maintain a cooperative relationship with those contacted in the course of work activities.
* Advanced understanding of map projections and state plane coordinate systems is required.
* This position requires broad knowledge in a general professional or technical field including the ability to read reports, spread sheets, manuals, blue prints, plans, drawings and correspondence. Also, required is the ability to perform general math calculations.
* The ability to convey plan details to other surveyors is a necessary part of this job.
* Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
* Relentlessly Accountable
* Has the knowledge and understanding to make safety everyone's first priority.
* Interacts with the assigned PLS to ensure project completion.
* A wide degree of creativity and latitude is required.
* Have knowledge of ethics and technical standards and organizations such as ALTA, NGS, NSPS/ACSM and BLM. Show responsibility in the profession (i.e. attire, honesty, respect for personal property)
* This position requires/may require use of a company-owned vehicle(s); must possess a valid driver's license and have no more than two minor violations (i.e. speeding 5-10 over, defective vehicle) within the preceding 36 months, nor a major violation (i.e. DUI) within the previous 60 months.
* May lead and direct the work of others.
* Possibility of supervising a two-person crew under certain restrictions.
* Shares responsibility for training new hires and novice employees.
* High school diploma or its equivalent with three (3) to five (5) years' progressive surveying experience.
* Equivalent to an Associate's Degree in Surveying or related completed degree beyond an Associate's Degree may be considered in meeting up to one (1) of the required work experience.