Mechanical Design and Test Engineer Resume
|Desired Industry: Engineering
|Desired Job Location: Winchester, Massachusetts
||Date Posted: 5/9/2011
|Type of Position: Contractor
||Availability Date: 5/12/201
|Desired Wage: 82000
||U.S. Work Authorization: Yes
|Job Level: Experienced with over 2 years experience
||Willing to Travel: Yes, Less Than 25%
|Highest Degree Attained: MBA
||Willing to Relocate: Yes
Self-motivated, persistent, inventive, problem solving Senior Mechanical Design Engineer and Project Manager with an MBA having experience in product development, Project and Staff Management and direct airline customer support. Managed cross-functional and multi-company mechanical design teams, from preliminary design life and cost concepts through detail design, procurement, manufacture, test & Certification/Qualification, to field introduction and field support. Invented, designed and sold to management a patented (5,491,974) Navy F18/F404 engine Removable Afterburner Flameholder that saved the Navy over $450M in 20 year life cycle costs.
Managed Projects at GE, MTU and Pratt & Whitney, including being the Project and Engineering Manager for the CT7-5 Flight Demonstration Program. Demonstrated prompt customer technical problem resolution and close customer contact during 24/7 airline Customer Technical Service support. Currently, President of Newfield Enterprises, owning and managing rental properties in multiple states.
Newfield Enterprises and Newfield Realty, Winchester, MA
President at Newfield Enterprises and Newfield Realty 2009-Present
Owning and managing single family homes in multiple states, investing in new single family properties as opportunities arise.
Pratt & Whitney Aircraft, East Hartford, CT
Customer Technical Service (CTS) Engineer & Export Representative 2005-2009
Resolved foreign and domestic airline Combustor & Turbine on-wing maintenance, technical & cost issues, within hours the same day. Available 24/7. Provided technical guidance on improving on-wing and shop maintenance plans, reducing airline costs. Provided export classification for Customer and Airframe Presentations for Technical Data, Export License compliance, and Exports to customers.
• Resolved 24/7 airline Turbine and Combustor time-on-wing, technical & customer cost issues usually within minutes.
• Initiated multiple airline simplified on wing inspections giving high quality results 30% more quickly and 40% less costly.
• Provided Export classification and approval for Commercial Engines presentations, Foreign National visits, exports, Statements of Work (SOWs) as well as taught Export Compliance class.
Systems Design & Component Integration Manager (Butler Int’l Contractor) 2004-2005
Managed PW2000 engine’s technical issues and schedules with the Program Managers and Component Integrated Product Teams (CIPTs). Managed B757 Configuration Management (CM) directly with Boeing.
• Managed B757/PW2000 multi-discipline tasks on a technical & schedule basis.
• Led a Team on an improved oil filter indication, received commendation from Northwest Airlines.
• Managed PW2000 Configuration Management System (CMS) directly with Boeing Aircraft, including pioneering CMS system timing & content improvements.
Greater Boston YMCA (Part Time), Boston, MA
YMCA Personal Training and Fitness Instructor (Part Time), Reading & Woburn, MA 2001-2003
Taught personal fitness and fitness principles at both Woburn & Reading YMCAs.
• Achieved YMCA certification as a Personal Fitness Instructor, including CPR Certification.
• Conceived program and awarded a Greater Boston YMCA grant for a seniors outreach (traveling) strength and balance training program.
Pratt & Whitney Aircraft, East Hartford, CT
Project and Engineering Manager (Universal Design Contractor) Middletown, CT 2002
Managed Design and Schedule for compressor variable vane tasks on Joint Strike Fighter, F119 engine and PW4000 engine programs, during testing and on existing and new cost reduction programs, production issues, field support & safety analysis, including using “Red X” process improvements.
• Researched and initiated other business cost reduction cases for projects involving new raw materials, new casting vendors as well as improved manufacturing techniques.
MTU Aero Engine Design, Inc. Rocky Hill, CT
Project Manager & Lead Design Engineer 2001-2002
Led Design, initiated and coordinated Project schedule for Low Pressure Turbine (LPT) Module & selected parts for LV100 tank engine program, slated for use in next generation Abrams tank.
• Coordinated project between MTU in CT, MTU in Germany and General Electric in Lynn, MA.
• Designed, procured & delivered the LPT Module in Less Than 12 Months.
General Electric, Chino, CA & Lynn, MA
Design Staff Engineer 1994-1999
Led cross-functional Design Teams for CFE738 and CF34 commercial engines and for J85, T58, T64 and TF34 military engines for HPT and LPT blades, vanes, cases and shrouds.
• Took designs from life and cost concepts through design, detail design, manufacture, procurement, test certification, to field introduction and field support. Balanced the requirements of field life, manufacturing cost, weight, reliability, repairability, serviceability and casting tooling cost.
Manager, Strain Gage (SG) Laboratory 1992-1994
Managed SG Lab for all development engine SG applications and strain gage failure cause identifications, co-leading a team of 15 Senior and Staff SG technicians.
• Led a team to improve strain gage (SG) life and durability more than 50%.
• Designed new SG Lab layout & managed the move to the new customized location.
Augmentor Design Staff Engineer 1989-1992
Invented a Navy F18/F404 engine Removable Afterburner Flameholder. Initiated a full size mockup, directed and participated in a mockup demonstration video, sold concept to GE Management and presented concept at Navy Component Improvement Program (CIP) conference.
• Patent 5,491,974 was issued for the design.
• No.1 NavyComponent Improvement Program (CIP), Resulted in Saving the Navy Greater Than $450M in life cycle cost.
Turboprop Engineer & Program Mgr 1985-1989
Managed Design proposals to turbofan, turboprop and blimp applications. Managed four component organizations, lowering inventories, increasing delivery speeds and lowering costs.
Project Manager, Aviation Service Department, Chino, CA 1983-1985
Managed $4.1M in military & commercial component test stand projects, implementing low cost advanced design & expedited delivery strategy.
Project and Engineering Manager, Flight Demonstration Program, MA and CA 1981 to 1983
Managed design and schedule for CT7-5 Turboprop Flight Test Program. Defined the schedule & technical requirements. Designed, procured and installed first GE Turboprop nacelle installation.First flight of the new installation Sept 2, 1981. Received Corporate Award For Managing Program.
Various Engineering Positions 1972-1981
Led design team on HPT vanes for GE's CF6-80, lowering cost, weight & tooling delivery. Led design team on HPT and LPT blades for F404-GE-400, from design concepts through detail design, procurement, manufacturing, testing and Navy Qualification Test (QT). Held increasingly responsible positions in small engine design for vendor selection, integrating CAD/CAM methods, testing, Mechanical Design, Heat Transfer, Turbine Aerodynamics and Stress & Life analysis.
Pratt & Whitney Aircraft, CT & FL
Design Engineer 1969-1972
Led heat transfer & secondary flow system analyses & improved computer analysis software for military & commercial aircraft engines as well as rocket engines. Designed parts for the Space Shuttle Main Rocket Engine proposal. Analyzed and designed parts for Air Force XLR129 rocket demonstration program.
Masters of Business Administration, Cum Laude, Boston University, Boston, MA
• Earned the degree in less than 3 years while working full time.
Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering, Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, NY
• Financed my tuition, room and board by winning New York State Regents and ROTC and Pratt Institute Dean's List Scholarships, securing student loans and working summers and part time.
Detailed Mechanical Design, Design Team Leader, Project & Program Manager, Aerodynamics, Heat Transfer, Manufacturing, investment casting & core/wax die design, Flight Test Program Manager, inventor, secondary flow systems- turbine engines and rockets, very inventive, persistent, MBA background, multi-tasking, augmentor turbine engine design, 3D mechanical visualization, organized and detailed oriented.
ISSUED U.S. Patent # 5,491,974, February 20, 1996
Removable Afterburner Flameholder
Inventors: Thomas J. Shimmel and C. Joseph Lamando, Jr.
Resulted in Saving the Navy Greater Than $450M in life cycle costs.
Available upon request.
Candidate Contact Information:
|JobSpider.com has chosen not to make contact information available on this page.
Click "Contact Candidate" to send this candidate a response.