|Desired Industry: Publishing
|Desired Job Location: Washington, District of Columbia
||Date Posted: 1/16/2011
|Type of Position: Full-Time Permanent
||U.S. Work Authorization: Yes
|Job Level: Experienced with over 2 years experience
||Willing to Travel:
|Highest Degree Attained: Bachelors
||Willing to Relocate: No
To obtain a position as a writer or writer-editor in the Washington, D.C., area.
CSC, Arlington, VA, December 2008–Present (current top-secret government clearance)
• Edit complex technical documents, including meeting minutes, policies and memorandums, for the multibillion-dollar Missile Defense Agency, focusing on grammar, style, clarity and formatting.
• Rewrite a large portion of each document, translating high-level engineering concepts into clear, understandable language, and provide feedback on the content.
• Establish, enforce and regularly update a style guide and an acronym list.
• Attend classified meetings on all matters pertaining to the agency, taking copious notes and extracting the most crucial information to prepare summaries.
• Write minutes after meetings, making sure the documents accurately and clearly reflect the discussions as well as the decisions that are made.
• Analyze briefings before board meetings and incorporate relevant information into drafts of the minutes.
• Serve as a writing coach to colleagues by explaining the reasons behind the changes I make to their work.
• Edit biographies and resumes of Missile Defense Agency and CSC employees.
• Assist CSC’s proposal team by editing and rewriting contract proposals.
COPY EDITOR: New York, NY, October 2006–November 2008
• Copy editor for national consumer magazines Town & Country (full time), Essence and Vibe
• Copyedited articles for grammar, clarity and adherence to house style. This work entailed rewriting to fix poorly structured, confusing or repetitive sentences.
• Worked extensively with researchers and section editors on changes to story material and input those changes into magazine files.
• Shepherded all the files I worked on through each stage of production, from initial copyedit to printer proof, ensuring that each article stayed on track and reached the production department on time.
• Proofread all pages returned from the printer to look for any text, photo or caption errors.
• Contributed headline suggestions and occasional story ideas and wrote a feature on dental spas for Town & Country.
Legal Times, Washington, D.C., May 2005–October 2006
• Copyedited both news and features, using AP Style and a house guide, for large weekly legal newspaper and daily website.
• Supervised another copy editor and a proofreader, assigning them stories and making sure that copy was completed by the deadline.
• Double-checked all copy to ensure that it was error-free before it was sent to the printer.
• Worked with the production department, to coordinate sending pages to the printer; with the section editors, to make sure articles got to the copy desk in a timely fashion; and with the writers, to correct factual errors and unclear text.
EEI Communications, Alexandria, VA, July 2004–May 2005
• Edited all types of materials for grammar, style and consistency.
• Rewrote material to make it more comprehensible and concise.
• Fact-checked information and did Internet research.
• Made sure documents were formatted correctly.
Insight Magazine, Washington, D.C., February 2004–May 2004 (Due to financial difficulties, the publication was suspended.)
• Copyedited all articles for semimonthly newsmagazine.
• Wrote headlines and captions.
• Kept track of copy at all stages of production.
• Made sure all editors' and writers' changes were made.
• Posted articles on Web site and wrote news summaries.
U.S. Marshals Service, Arlington, VA, May 2002–February 2004
• Edited all agency policies for grammar and style accuracy.
• Rewrote policies to ensure ideas were presented clearly and concisely, without legal jargon.
• Communicated with authors of proposed policies to make editorial recommendations and to make sure their proposals were formatted correctly.
• Sent proposed policies to all divisions of the Marshals Service, collected draft changes and incorporated appropriate ones.
Roll Call, Washington, D.C., September 2000–April 2002
• Copyedited all news, features and special sections for twice-weekly newspaper.
• Wrote headlines, captions and features.
• Fact-checked stories, using online sources, phone calls and reference books.
• Contacted news networks for programming information.
TV Guide Inc., New York, NY, January 1999–September 2000
• Copyedited all articles for the monthlies The Cable Guide, See and Celebrity Dish as well as wrote articles on programs and specials.
• Contacted cable networks for story ideas.
TMP Worldwide, New York, NY, January 1998–January 1999
• Wrote recruitment advertisement copy for major corporate clients.
• Proofread and copyedited advertisement copy.
• Performed media research.
• Placed clients' ads in print and online media.
MII Publications, Washington, D.C., September 1996–September 1997
• Planned each issue of the semimonthly education newsletter School to Work.
• Wrote news, features and headlines.
• Edited all copy and approved layouts.
Collector Communications, New York, NY, December 1993–January 1996
• Wrote features, columns and headlines for the collectors magazines Dolls, Collector Editions and Teddy Bear Review.
• Edited and fact-checked columns.
• Answered reader correspondence.
Write features for the Los Angeles–based art website Localartla.com.
FEATURES EDITOR INTERN
Daily News, New York, NY, June 1993–August 1993
Copyedited and proofread copy and wrote headlines and captions on the features desk.
Education: University of Scranton, Scranton, PA
B.A. in Communication, May 1993 (3.49 GPA), Communication Honor Society
Candidate Contact Information:
|JobSpider.com has chosen not to make contact information available on this page.
Click "Contact Candidate" to send this candidate a response.