writer/editor/communications specialist Resume
|Desired Industry: Newspaper/Magazine
|Desired Job Location: New York, New York
||Date Posted: 7/17/2007
|Type of Position: Full-Time Permanent
||Availability Date: Sept 2007
|Desired Wage: $60,000
||U.S. Work Authorization: Yes
|Job Level: Experienced with over 2 years experience
||Willing to Travel: Yes, 25-50%
|Highest Degree Attained: Bachelors
||Willing to Relocate: Yes
A mid-level/executive level position as a writer/editor/proofreader or corporate communications specialist in a large, dynamic and fast-growing organization with a demonstrated commitment to diversity, preferably at a University.
1/2006 - 8/2006
SUNY Potsdam Women's and Gender Studies Potsdam, NY
* Conceptualized, wrote, edited and proofread news stories and articles for Women's and Gender Studies Department newsletter
* Assisted Director with administrative and other editorial duties
8/2005 - 12/2005
SUNY Potsdam Office of Public Affairs Potsdam, NY
Public Relations Intern
* Assisted with the management of the collegeís media relations by proactively publicizing newsworthy research and events
* Wrote news releases and features for publication in community/regional papers
* Networked with Student Government Organizations, conducted interviews and wrote news stories publicizing student-led campus-wide events, including WAIH radio (college radio station)
8/2005 - 12/2005
SUNY Potsdam Learning and Teaching Excellence Center Potsdam, NY
Public Relations Intern
* Attended and provided coverage for weekly seminars and workshops for faculty and staff
* Conducted interviews, conceptualized and wrote news releases and articles about the Center and its clients for website
* Researched and analyzed existing newsletter and conceptualized revision to meet its stated objectives
* Single-handedly produced newly designed Fall newsletter using Microsoft Publisher software
4/2001 - 12/2001
The Sunday Herald
* Conceptualized lifestyle column for periodical with second-largest circulation in nation
* Wrote weekly articles for leading lifestyle magazine published by paper
5/2001 - 7/2001
Red Stripe Kingston, Jamaica
* Co-managed internal and external communications for multinational beer producer
* Planned, publicized and staged community relations events
* Wrote, edited and proofread articles and features for company newsletter
* Conceptualized and supervised production of newsletter
* Wrote and submitted articles that were published in local media
* Arranged on-air interviews for senior company executives and provided communication support
1/2001 - 4/2001
Jamaica Gleaner Company Kingston, Jamaica
* Attended newsworthy events, including sessions of Parliament each week and provided coverage for oldest and most popular periodical in nation
* Conducted interviews and wrote stories and headlines
* Substituted for news editor on occasion
4/2001 - 3/2001
HOT 102 FM Kingston, Jamaica
* Conceptualized and hosted weekly talk show
* Interviewed experts, took calls from listeners and moderated discussions
3/1996 - 4/2000
Radio Jamaica Group Ltd Kingston, Jamaica
Night Editor/Producer/On-air talent
* Recruited from government news agency to mid-level position in newsroom in country's leading group of radio stations
* Appointed night editor while the most junior member of the newsroom team
* Manned newsroom during night shift, supervising 1-2 reporters and all correspondents
* Produced, edited, proofread and anchored daily morning newscast
* Edited and rewrote stories and proofread sports headlines for morning newscast
* Covered Houses of Parliament (Upper and Lower) weekly, including producing a weekly feature on government policies and programs
* Interviewed General Colin Powell and former President Jimmy Carter during national elections
* Provided live, nation-wide coverage of major events, including Prime Minister's inauguration
* Conducted interviews, prepared and voiced features.
* Produced morning news bulletins daily.
* Promoted to news anchor of flagship evening bulletin a few months following appointment
* Prepared and presented current affairs programs.
* Successfully co-hosted a sports program.
3/1993 - 3/1996
JAMPRESS Kingston, Jamaica
* Attended events and wrote average of three news releases/ features daily for government news agency
* Edited an average of 15 news releases/features daily
* Promoted to Senior Editor after three months
SUNY Potsdam - Bachelor of Arts (summa cum laude) English Writing GPA: 3.95, May 2007
Honors:English Departmental Scholar; Heritage Award for scholarship; International Student Scholarship; National Deanís List and College Presidentís List; inducted into Phi Kappa Phi (National Honor Society) and Sigma Tau Delta (English Honor Society).
Writing and editing for public relations, journalism and internal corporate communication. Strong competence in learning and assimilating new information. Proven independence, teamwork, and fast-paced production. Word, Publisher, and internet research.
Available upon request.
Candidate Contact Information:
|JobSpider.com has chosen not to make contact information available on this page.
Click "Contact Candidate" to send this candidate a response.