Join a team that does more than generate and deliver electricity through its work; join a team that powers growth and advances communities. Seeing beyond the project at hand, you'll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company and have the agility of a specialized power group, and work on some of the most challenging and cutting-edge projects around the world. Whether helping to define microgrids, pushing the boundaries on clean energy or grid modernization, you'll find yourself working with leaders in transmission & distribution, thermal generation, and renewable energy in one of the world's top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
Stantec is hiring an entry level Distribution Designer to join our Transmission & Distribution (T&D) group. We understand the challenges of the power sector in meeting worldwide demand for clean, efficient energy in the midst of financial, strategic, and regulatory uncertainty. Within our positive team environment, our employees enjoy great career advancement opportunities and the chance to work on a variety of projects including transmission, distribution substation, converter stations, telecom, protection and control, renewable energy, and generation. We provide career opportunities as unique as you are.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Perform site visit for field data collection and verification of existing distribution lines, facilities and project requirements.
- Prepare cost estimates on engineering and fielding efforts.
- Perform detailed design and engineering calc's of the overhead electric. distribution systems to comply with the client's standards, specifications, preferences, and relevant industry standards (NESC, GO95 and etc.).
- Develop bill of material required for construction based upon client standards and preferences.
- Develop permit drawings as necessary to accommodate construction.
- Support the day to day activities of the project from inception through. engineering, construction, commissioning and hand over.
- Function as project engineer on assigned projects.
- Report the progress of the project to the senior engineer.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Working knowledge of design, construction, O&M of the overhead and underground distribution lines below 34.5 kV.
- Experience with electrical utilities is desirable. Experience with SDG&E and PG&E is a plus.
- Experience with IkeGPS or other GPS field data collection platform is desirable.
- PLS-CADD, PLS-Pole and OCalc experience is desirable.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Outlook and Office is required.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Prioritize and manage multiple tasks / projects with various due dates.
- Engineer in Training certificate (EIT) or ability to obtain one upon hiring
- Travel should be expected.
Education and Experience
We require, at minimum, a bachelor's degree in engineering or a 2-year technical degree with one year of utility experience (electric, water, gas, or telecom). Degrees must be from an accredited university in a related field of study (Civil, Mechanical or Electrical).
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.