The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn't have to be true? What if our built environment - where we live, learn, play, and conduct business - carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future-join us!
You're qualified. You're accomplished. You've arrived.
Are you ready to be challenged again?
Canada's North is different. You know that but, do you know how different and how it's different?
Yes, it's cold here - extremely cold at times and even in the Summer too. You may even know that it's remote but do you know just how remote? Remote is a one shot barge in the later part of the Summer or a Winter road that will give you 6 or 7 weeks to truck materials in and retrieve the truck-tractor before the temporary road is bulldozed to protect the tundra. Or you can fly materials in, sometimes on an aircraft as small as a Twin Otter. With communities as small as 98 people, our construction workforce is scattered and challenged. It takes no small amount of time and experience to truly understand what our Clients and our Constructors face in this place. And, no less, our Staff
That's the challenge. And we will challenge you:
- to be open to the differences
- to be open enough to them to recognize critical differences
- to show us that added sense and sensitivity to deal with many different cultures that you have what it takes to successfully deliver projects in critically different conditions
Here, a deadline means just that. With few transportation alternatives, if we miss a deadline, our project is effectively dead. If we make a larger mistake, our Contractor doesn't just nip down to the yard for a replacement beam - she or he will have to organize a replacement and then face the arduous lot of expediting it by regular transportation as far as a hub in the NWT and then by extraordinary shipping - often only air - to a remote site. And then she or he will face the effects of significant delays.
We meet these challenges as a team. We jump in to help our colleagues. At the same time we recognize when we need help and reach out in time. We become close-knit and rely on sharing our hard-won expertise and our extended support.
The Stantec Yellowknife office has an immediate opportunity for an Architectural Technologist to become part of our integrated Architecture and Engineering practice.
You will work on tasks under the guidance of a Senior Designer or Architect. This is an intermediate level Architectural Technologist design role. You will be preparing architectural schematics, developing space programming and site planning, as well as developing the form of the building, sections, and architectural details. You will be working with an innovative team on creating new sustainable prototypes.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Support Project Architect / Senior Staff with project delivery including: preparation of contract drawings, specifications, schedules, detail development from hand sketches.
- Consultant coordination.
- The ability to assist with and /or leading the contract administration phase including field reviews, progress claim reviews, preparation of SI's, CCN's and Change Orders is an asset.
- Provide mentorship, guidance, and direction to junior members of the team.
- Complete projects and assignments within timelines and budgets.
- Work with our policies on project delivery, quality control, and safety.
- Presentation and graphics skills with 3D Visualization skills, are an asset.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Proficiency in Autodesk Revit (current edition) preferred and AutoCAD 2014/2017 skills
- Demonstrated experience in a variety of project types and project delivery methods
- A strong understanding of the National Building Code and building envelope science
- Good communication and organizational skills
- Can work independently with minimal guidance and within a team environment
- Strong attention to detail
- Positive problem-solving skills
- Strong work ethic and desire to advance skills and abilities
- Contract administration skills is an asset
Education and Experience
Graduate of a recognized Architectural Graduate Program or Architectural Technologists Program.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 7 years of experience.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.