Classification Specialists are instrumental to the facilitation and coordination of personnel activities for our customers; our Specialists apply their skills and experience in performing Position Classification to the preparation of classification packages, maintenance of job data, and customer service related tasks meant to educate managers on the Federal General Schedule, Wage Grade and pay band classification systems.
Facilitate the classification of our customers' jobs by:
- Coordinating the timely completion of position classification activities.
- Reviewing classification items to assess their appropriate series and grade level and advise managers on the appropriateness of these areas.
- Performing classification assessments of the Fair Labor and Standards Act and Position Sensitivity.
- Conducting position reviews and audits and develops evaluations and advisories to communicate results.
- Responding to customer request for information with guidance and education to customers of classification and the classification process.
- Coordinating position classification activities with staffing and action processing;
Maintain customer data related to classified jobs by
- Preparing position description and classification package supporting documentation.
- Inputting data into the Human Resource Information Systems (HRIS).
- Maintaining position description and classification data within the HRIS.
Participate in customer projects by:
- Participating in Quality Control and Process Improvement activities.
- Leading clean-up projects and reviews of classification data for adherence to OPM standards of practice.
- Working with Local HR to share and communicate classification guidance and instruction.
- Facilitating the update and maintenance of job-related data in support of personnel projects such as reorganizations and conversions.
- 1 - 4 years of federal Human Resources classification experience.
- Skill in written and oral communication skills to develop written advisories and opinions on classification decisions.
- Skill in Adobe and Microsoft office products to prepare and maintain classification documentation.
- Ability to interpret and analyze Federal documents to ensure customer jobs are classified according to all established standards.
- Ability to maintain a strong client relationship and interaction.
- Ability to reason and analyze personnel related problems.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and meet all requirements for productivity.
- Bachelor's Degree; Delegated Examining Unit (DEU) certification preferred, not required
- Knowledge of general human resources practices acquired through formal education or some years of Federal Human Resources experience across functional areas
- Knowledge of NFC and SharePoint or equivalent HR system desired