Spectrum Brands - The Home & Garden business unit of Spectrum Brands is based in St. Louis, Missouri with distribution, manufacturing and sales offices throughout the US and globe. We are a leading supplier of consumer products nationally for the home, lawn and garden, insect and weed control markets. We deliver groundbreaking products of exceptional value and top-notch quality to consumers with our well-recognized brands including Spectracide®, Hot Shot®, Cutter®, Repel®, Black Flag®, Garden Safe®, EcoLogic® and Liquid Fence®.
The Prepress Operator 2 may be required to take lead on key functions within the prepress area as needed. This position will receive various packaging design files such as folding cartons, labels, aerosol wraps, bags, shippers, displays, catalogs and miscellaneous POP material. These files will be managed from the art for approval state through print tools (final press-ready electronic files). This position will work closely with Creative, Production, Proofreading, Marketing Communications, Packaging & Engineering and Sourcing in support of prepress functions. Prepress works with both Home & Garden and Pet divisions.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Final review and approval of internal proofs
- Work directly with printers to troubleshoot quality issues and resolve
- Build electronic art files for plates and printing
- Trap and step files using specialized system software (Kodak Prinergy and Pandora)
- Ability to color correct art files to achieve desired look on final printed product
- Work with printer for approvals and press type
- Work with PE for final templates
- Proof all material for accuracy when working with the printers
- Ensure electronic art files are built to capture correct color and desired look
- Ability to recognize press characteristics as they relate to file preparation for creative design, substrate and printing recommendations for communication to Creative team to achieve desired look
- Assist the Creative team with overflow design requests for mock-ups as needed
- Work efficiently with designers on projects to ensure print accuracy
- Attend press checks to ensure color registration and layout meet expectations and standards
- Make existing digital art ready to print
- Ensure all graphic elements are consistent across related files and packaging
- Ensure that all established file management procedures are followed
- Ensure that all creative marketing/promotional/packaging art materials are developed and delivered in a timely and accurate manner per scheduled deadlines
- Preparing and releasing art files to global printers as needed
Education and Experience Profile
Bachelors, Associates or equivalent in Graphic Design or Color Electronic Publishing with focus on prepress
- 4-6 plus years' experience in prepress for consumer packaging
- Experience with flexo, offset, gravure and digital print processes in consumer packaging
- Highly skilled in prepress/creative design software including: Kodak Prinergy, Kodak Pandora, Kodak Insite, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, and Adobe Acrobat
- Strong file assembly skills
- Expert trapping skills for packaging
- Skilled in Color Management of EFI/Epson proofing systems
- Ability to produce error-free work
- Must be flexible and team oriented
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment handling multiple tasks and tight deadlines
- Works effectively across the organization and fosters teamwork
- Detail oriented, able to accurately produce and proofread work
- Ability to work well in a team setting
- Excellent organization skills and the ability to work on multiple tasks with predetermined deadlines
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Quality check art files and proofs for accuracy
Working conditions are normal for an office environment.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this job/classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Spectrum Brands is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.