The Home & Garden business unit of Spectrum Brands is based in St. Louis, Missouri with distribution, manufacturing and sales offices throughout the US and globe. We are a leading supplier of consumer products nationally for the home, lawn and garden, insect and weed control markets. We deliver groundbreaking products of exceptional value and top-notch quality to consumers with our well-recognized brands including Spectracide®, Hot Shot®, Cutter®, Repel®, Black Flag®, Garden Safe®, EcoLogic® and Liquid Fence®.
As the Assistant Product/Brand Manager, you will be a key contributor to the brand's strategic product development and marketing communication plans. You will be accountable for developing and executing strategies and plans in partnership with internal, cross -functional teams and external agencies. The role includes supporting the Brand Manager in brand development and strategy, pricing strategy, consumer insights, category P&L, product development from concept to shelf, innovation roadmaps, marketing plan development and execution.
To be successful in this role, you will need strong passion and strength in understanding the consumer, the retail customer and the marketplace, working to find insights in order to develop creative and innovative solutions that allow us to win.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- In conjunction with the Brand Manager, develop business and marketing strategies.
- Develop, implement and execute new product launches while managing existing product lines.
- Lead key promotional sales and marketing elements to drive brand exposure, consumer brand perception and brand market share.
- Develop research strategy and plans to better understand consumer shopping behaviors and inform product development.
- Maintain understanding of the competitive environment to assess impact on the business.
- Analyze shipment, sales data and market share to understand brand performance and product health.
- Responsible for the creation and development of presentations, bulletins and newsletters that communicate brand plans, news, events and product updates to be used by internal teams and in customer presentations.
- Partner with strategic customer teams to collaboratively build growth plans and participate in meetings to present products/concepts.
- Maintain division budget and manage monthly A&P process
- Must understand and demonstrate safe work practices at all times to ensure a safe work environment.
- Contribute to the accomplishment of key performance indicators including safety, quality, production, cost and development.
- Comply with all company policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience Profile
- Bachelor's degree required, MBA strongly preferred
- 1-3 years of work experience prior to MBA program
- Preferred experience in Sales, Marketing or Product Development
- Active in campus organizations, holding leadership positions
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) - Ability to tell a story, synthesize information and convey a key message in order to present in a visual and compelling way
- Experience independently managing projects and overcoming obstacles
- Must be a self-starter and be self-motivated with a strong work ethic
- Team player with strong people skills and proven ability to build relationships across all levels of the organization
- Demonstrate leadership that positively influences and energizes their team
- Driven with a strong sense of initiative
- Demonstrate both analytical and creative thinking abilities
- Solid understanding of traditional business software applications (MS Office, etc.)
Some travel required, up to 10%.
Working conditions are normal for an office environment.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this job/classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Spectrum Brands is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.