The YMCA of Columbia-Willamette is a mission driven organization, which seeks individuals who are enthusiastic and passionate about our mission and vision. We do this by putting the Christian principles of love, respect, honesty, responsibility and service into practice.
Objective: Under the supervision of the Lifeguard Supervisor, the Lead Lifeguard works with the aquatics team to maintain a safe and fun atmosphere through proper surveillance, emergency response, and getting to know members of all backgrounds.
Job Responsibilities: The Lifeguard will supervise the pool, monitor pool chemistry, records program attendance and general pool use, and serves members in accordance with rules and policies as set forth by the Branch and Association.
- Enforce and follow general pool rules as set forth by the Branch and Association at all times.
- Lifeguard during scheduled shifts, arriving on time and staying the full length of the shift.
- Find own substitute when gone and approve all absences with supervisor.
- Be attentive to each member who enters the pool: greet each person, assess physical limitations and monitor behavior while in the pool.Membership retention duties include, but are not limited to, knowing names of members, providing members with general YMCA information, establishing a good rapport with members, suggesting appropriate aquatics programs, issuing pool equipment
- Oversee all activities in the pool, ensuring the safety of everyone in the pool area
- Be able to respond efficiently and effectively during emergency situations
- Remain calm and professional during high-risk and stressful situations
- Maintain a clean and orderly pool area, remove unnecessary items from pool deck and assist in monitoring the facility
- Record program attendance and general pool use
- Monitor chemicals regularly, assisting the CPO when necessary.Follow specific staff policies outlined by the branch and supervisor
- Dress according to the staff uniform policy, determined by the branch and supervisor
- Attend all required meetings and trainings as designated by supervisor
- Successfully complete all drills as assigned.Perform other duties as assigned.
- Incorporate and model our YMCA Christian principles of love, respect, honesty, responsibility and service into your work
- Establish and maintain harmonious relationships with both members and staff, and give directions in an authoritative, yet tactful manner
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical incidents and the physical ability to act swiftly in emergency situations
- Able to adequately observe participant activities, enforce safety regulations, and apply appropriate management techniques
- Ability to provide a high quality of member satisfaction to members while performing job functions
- Able to swim at least 500 yards Must be able to lift and/or carry 50 pounds.
Current Lifeguard, First Aid and CPR for the Professional Rescuer Certifications from an accredited organization.
Have or obtain a thorough understanding of facility's emergency procedures.
Must pass YMCA background check
American Red Cross, YMCA and/or ASHI certifications.
Supervisor: Angela Garner, Aquatics Director
Branch Location: Clark County Family YMCA
The YMCA of Columbia-Willamette is a mission driven organization, which seeks individuals who are enthusiastic and passionate about our purpose and mission. We do this by putting the Christian principles of love, respect, honesty, responsibility and service into practice.
The statements in this job description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Equal Opportunity Employer