|JOB SUMMARY: Serve as the plant's medical professional under the general direction of a physician. Administers Worker's Compensation claims, assists with litigation, and directly manages the Company return-to-work programs. Administers emergency medical treatment in cases of accidents or illnesses, and on call as needed. Assist in the management of employee Hearing Conservation, including administration of training, specialized hearing protection, hearing tests, and follow-up. Wellness programs that are designed to enhance employees' health and welfare. Maintain confidential, accurate, up-to-date medical and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) records for the location. Work with management to take proactive approach toward providing a safe work environment.|
Position reports directly to the Safety and Security Manager, who, in turn, reports to the Plant Manager. The Occupational Health Nurse works closely with the Safety and Security Manager in carrying out the Company's "Key Elements" approach towards safety management at the location. This person works closely with the location Safety and HR professionals on sensitive health care issues, job placement, and reasonable medical accommodations on a case-by-case basis.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
* Assists the Safety and Security Manager with the review of reserve and payment practices of our Worker's Compensation insurance carrier and recommends adjustments when necessary, to ensure a successful loss prevention and claims' management process is maintained for the location.
* Availability to work varied hours to support a rotating 12 hour crew structure, occasionally working nights for their core work hours. Additionally this position has on-call responsibilities for incidents 24/7.
* Ability to provide or organize immunization treatment for or to employees. Able to assess the nature of injuries/illnesses and assume responsibility to either treat or recommend appropriate treatment. Functions in a self-directed manner under general medical guidelines. Responsible to initialize medical care for all work-related injuries and illnesses.
* Responsible for the administration of Worker's Compensation benefits and works on professional, confidential level with hospitals, physicians, and other health care providers to ensure proper treatment. Respo
nsible for all written and verbal communication that may or may not be confidential pertaining to the medical department, claims, and procedures, and accumulation of medical histories on all employees.
* Adhere to all policies of McCain Foods USA, Inc.
* Provide a current medical record system to point out individual health and safety problems. Complete necessary reports to state and federal agencies to comply with current laws and regulations.
* Assist Safety and Security Manager with the facilitation of safety and health programs, hearing conversation, respirator fit testing, pulmonary function testing, other testing, protective equipment as required and OSHA reporting.
* Facilitate the plant's accommodation process, including the identification of transitional duty positions to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
* Conduct annual training First Aid, CPR, Wellness, Bloodborne Pathogens, and other related topics.
* Provide medical treatment of injuries and illnesses.
* Maintain an adequate supply of medical, safety, and health supplies.
* Observe employees for unsafe behavior and behavioral trends. Enter data into database for the BOS/COS process.
* Maintain all safety related reporting to include SPI and incident reporting. Complete all monthly and annual reports for the location.
* Other duties may be assigned.
JOB QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each job duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
* Must have a RN or BSN degree and have a current nursing license in the state of Nebraska.
* Possess three to five years of emergency/trauma experience, preferably in an industrial environment.
* Possess the ability to effectively support and communicate the Company's safety process at the plant location.
* Should have exposure to industrial safety programs.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those and employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Employee is primarily in an office, may be exposed to fumes from the production facility.
PROTECTIVE CLOTHING REQUIRED:
Smock, gloves, hairnet, sleeves, waterproof suit, ear plugs, protective toe shoes, goggles (when needed), Plant Leadership Approval.